Re: Potassium Iodide [K-40 content 44% of KCl]

Hi all:

Bear in mind the atomic weight of KCl is 74.5, so there are 525 g K per kg KCl.

This equates to about 448,000 pCi K-40 per kg of KCl [or 448 pCi K-40 per g of

KCl]. This makes KCl such a neat check source. You can fill a Marinelli beaker

with KCl [buy it at any BJ's wholesale club in the past as pure KCl quick melt

for about $10 per 40 pound containers]

By comparison, the atomic weight of KI is 166, so there are "only" 235 g K per kg

KI. This equates to "only" about 201,000 pCi K-40 per kg of KI [or 200 pCi K-40

per g of KI].

Accordingly, KI would have only about 44% of the K-40 content per gram of KI vs

the K-40 per gram of KCl and a proportionately lesser instrument response per

gram of material. Nevertheless, 200 pCi K-40 per gram of KI is still not too

shabby as generally available radioactive materials go, and Susan's point is

still quite valid.

Stewart Farber

farbersa@optonline.net