Re: Potassium Iodide

At 11:39 AM 12/19/2002 -0500, Susan L Gawarecki wrote:

>As I recall, potassium chloride is used as an example of natural

>radioactivity because of the K-40.  I expect there would be a similar

>instrument response to KI.  So, will people take a radioactive pill to

>protect them from "deadly" radiation?  Publicize this fact just right,

>and you could crash the fear-based KI-pill market.

Dear Dr. Gawarecki,

I did a short-term count of a bottle of 200 65mg KI tablets through the

poly?ethelene? bottle wall with the bottom of the bottle covering the

pancake G-M tube (1-inch approx diameter mica window) and noticed POSSIBLY

an increase in 3µR/h increase over background...but the other two

background counts measured about 3-4µR/h lower than my long-term background

average in this location. AND we're talking 14µR/h as my assumed background

at home nestled into the decomposed granite hillside and about 10µR/h at my

10th-floor office.

So what increase in radioactivity are you expecting from KI? I did not want

to open the sealed bottle as it's damp here and I'd rather not do that. So

if it's only alpha and beta, I suspect that the bottle may have shielded

the meter.

And, in case you scoff at an Aware Electronics RM-70 as a totally useless

toy (I know some on this list do not like Aware due to their marketing

slant) please look at the specs--note I have the middle unit.

http://www.aw-el.com/specs.htm

Oh, and I've never felt better about radiation since I've been able to

measure it. I'm going for a chest x-ray and intend to bring the

monitor--and no, I'm not worried about the dosage from a chest x-ray, I

just like to put things into perspective. It was scary last Monday when I

had an x-ray (w/o monitor) and the technician could not tell me the dosage

other than it was "low and safe" I told her I knew that, I wanted numbers.

Cheers,

Richard