RE: Potassium Iodide

The techniques used to produce the radiograph are sent by the technologist.

They set the kVp, which sets the maximum energy of the bremsstrahlung

x-rays, the current or number of photons produced is set by the mA setting,

and time interval over which the film or receptor is exposed.  (When you get

a chest or any other x-ray, you may hear the sound of the rotator turing the

target, followed by a slightly louder sound and the beep that indicates the

exposure is complete.

For a typical 14 in X 17 in PA chest x-ray at 72 inches, the settings may be

75 kVp, 10 mAs based on the film speed.  If the current is 100 mA, the timer

will be 0.1 second.  If the current is higher, the time is shorter.

I don't know of many GM meters that can respond that quickly.

-- John

John P. Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  jenday1@msn.com