RE: Potassium Iodide

Jim -

I think during my short but illustrious tour of duty as chair of the CRCPD Emergency Response Planning committee several years back, I made that exact comment to FDA, FEMA, NRC and anybody else who would listen, but to no avail.

Jim Hardeman
Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us

>>> "Dukelow, James S Jr" <jim.dukelow@PNL.GOV> 12/19/2002 20:17:13 >>>

I haven't been paying much attention to the KI thread on Radsafe, but I
would like to comment that I consider it scientific and regulatory
malpractice on the part of NRC, CDC, and HPS to not tell the public about
topical application of iodine-bearing antiseptics as an alternative method
of blocking the thyroid.  Experiments conducted by Kenneth Miller and his
colleagues at Penn State establish pretty convincingly that a few square
inches of antiseptic would load the thyroid with stable iodine.

Consider the advantages:

1)  wide availability, as close as the nearest drugstore or supermarket

2)  So you laid in a stock of KI pills.  The alarm goes up.  You're not at
home or you are at home and can't remember where you put those pills.  Do
you remember where you keep the antiseptic?  You are 50 miles from home.
What do you do now?

3)  Potassium is one of the more important cations in the body and the
consequences of messing with the bodies potassium levels can be pretty
severe.  No such problem with tincture of iodine or povodone.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my
management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.