Re: More on DU - another scenario

RADSTERS,

After numerous calls, e-mails, and checking with staff, the Army has

determined that the previously discussed round was in fact, not DU and

not live, but rather a T328 practice projectile.  Again, it is NOT DU,

it is NOT a penetrator, and it has NO hazards.

There is still some confusion out there as to how the DU/live round

aspect was communicated to the nurse who contacted me, when neither was

the case and she only talked to one person.  One Army person suggested

that since the information came from a Navy guy...  :-) [just kidding].

Quite glad that the kid found a training round and not a live round.

Again, sorry to the military folks who had to burn valuable time chasing

this down over my post to RADSAFE.  Goes to show that RADSAFE is

monitored, people act upon information posted, and good information can

be obtained eventually.

Happy Holidays, case closed.

RADSAFE forever.

Phil Egidi

CDPH&E

<snip>

Hi Phil,

    Here is what I know about the military shell found in an alley in

Montrose.  A 15 year old boy found a military shell in the alley

behind

the Hospital around S. 3rd street.  He brought the shell home and the

next day brought it to his ROTC instructor at Montrose High School.

The

instructor recognized it as being military and sent it to the army for

identification.  The id came back as being a 30 mm anti-tank round

with

depleted uranium and had not been fired.  It had  been recommended

that

the boy have an alpha reading done, at which point mom called our

office

to request an order for the test.

<snip>