From: Richard L. Hess [mailto:lists@richardhess.com]

Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 4:48 PM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: DU Info / motivation

At 03:03 PM 12/20/2002 -0500, Jacobus, John (NIH/OD/ORS) wrote:

>Quesetion for the list:  Why is Doug Rokke giving these talks?  Do you

think

>he really believes there is a problem?

John, most of the people I know who speak out against nuclear (in many

forms) and other sources of pollution (as they see it) believe deeply that

there are many problems that we're ignoring and some of them go so far as

to say "we're killing the planet." My friends who speak out who also happen

to be folksingers may be doing it to resonate with their fan base, but the

ones I've discussed this with deeply believe what they're doing is right. I

cannot speak for Doug Rokke, however.

The colleague who introduced me to Wasserman's book is truly concerned

about these things and believes the government rarely tells the truth in

regards to nuclear waste and other things. He is wont to believe things

like the statistics we recently discussed accusing DU for a high increase

in cancers and deaths in the Balkans.

None of these are stupid people. On the other hand, none has taken the time

to learn as much as I have in this area. Of course, at least some of them

tell me I'm hanging out with wrong crowd <smile>...so I'm sure the feeling

is mutual <big grin>.

Cheers,

Richard