From: Rad Safety Institute [mailto:radsafeinst@cableone.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 7:15 PM
To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: More on FAS

I told a client that I had no confidence in the FAS calculations in:
because they did not reveal the exact model used (presumably one of the Gaussian smokestack models, like the EPA's CAP-88?) or the input values fed into it; only their conclusions. His answer to me was: (1) it was presented to Congress with all their staffers and no one objected, and (2) there had been no outcry of objections from any of the "professional radiation groups", so it must be good work.  This second point hurt!! Someone with much more clout than I have should write to FAS and request clarification, or suggest that their article be submitted to a publication with a peer review process. Just my opinion!
                                                                   Ed Battle