Re: Apparent anti-correlations between geographic radiation and cancerare no...

John and Ruth,

see http://www.dceg.cancer.gov/cgi-bin/atlas/mapview2?direct=acccwm70

I believe all values shown are per 100 000 people. (The US average is given

as 209.47/100 000 and the title talks about "rates".)

If the blue areas (prairies) have 1/2 the cancer mortality per 100 000

people than the red ones (eastern 1/3 of the US) and 25% of the people in

the red areas will eventually die of cancer and 150 million people live in

the red areas, that means that 1/2 x 0.25 x 150 million = 19 million excess

cancers as compared to the blue areas.