Re: Norm's New Year Resolution may come true

>From: "Richard L. Hess" <lists@richardhess.com>

>Subject: Re: Norm's New Year Resolution may come true: DB may close

>Norm,

>I'm curious, what are your suggestions for the best option to replace the

>nuclear power plants you suggest decommissioning?

Norm knows quite well that if he ever succeeds in shutting down the Salem

Nukes (yeah, right), the likely replacement power will be natural gas (with

its associated radon and other emissions), or environmentally-friendly clean

coal :-).  You can't replace reliable, base-load power with alternatives

without massive storage systems and therefore high costs.

If  they built a "clean" coal burner near him, he'd better hope it's not

like this one, or he might have to move.  I suppose he could always use the

blisters on his lips and tongue as a publicity tool claiming they were

caused by long-term exposure to Salem...

It's a small price to pay to avoid 0.009 millirem per year from dirty nukes.

Regards,

Jim

--

Hold the door for the stranger behind you.  When the driver a

half-car-length in front of you signals to get over, slow down.  Smile and

say "hi" to the folks you pass on the sidewalk.  Give blood.  Volunteer.