Re: hospital contamination incident

I must repectfully disagree.  The purpose of regulation is NOT to punish consequences but to prevent them.  "Forgetting procedures" is definitely an accident precursor and cannot be tolerated.

Your argument is the same as saying that the police should not issue a ticket to a motorist who runs a Stop sign or a red light, as long as there's no accident.

The NRC and other regulators must not tolerate unnecessary risks to patients due to carelessness or willful violations.

(This is somewhat tangential, but telling:  During my DOE contractor days, I had one particular individual who, when I counseled him for safety violations, responded that he'd take responsibility for any consequences, but, otherwise, did not want to hear from me.  A few years later he did become involved in a serious accident due to his unsafe behavior.  His response:  He sued DOE for making him work under such hazardous conditions!)

It's not about dose it's about trust
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

"Perrero, Daren" wrote:

 ... Forgetting procedures or performing the procedure poorly should not result in an automatic violation even though it could be cited.  There doesn't have to be a regulatory response for every mistake.  Accidents happen, move on.  The genuine question that needs to be answered is 'what is the safety impact?'