Re: Looking For Good Books (environmental radioactivity)

Others have recommended some excellent references to help you. Let me offer

a few items that you may find interesting:

1) In the entire history of the world, there has never been a time when

radioactivity was not present. We therefore have no insight on what a

radiation-free environment would be like.

2) The effect of any radioactivity added to the general environment as a

result of  human activities (except for  very localized effects) is

insignificant relative to that which occurs naturally. For example, if all

the electrical power  in the world for the next 100 years were generated

only by nuclear plants, and all of the resulting nuclear waste, after 10

years of decay, were equally distributed in the world's oceans, the net

hazard from oceanic radioactivity would be increased by 1/10,000th of 1.0%

above that due to its naturally occurring radioactive content (predominately

radium & uranium).