Re: Dosimeters and airport security

On 9 Jan 2003 at 10:28, Tom Morgan wrote:

> Can anyone address the issue of dosimeters and airport security? If

> a radiation worker with a dosimeter wants to travel on an airliner to

> visit another facility, should he/she take their own dosimeter with

> them? Or, should they use the facility's visitor badge? Any idea

> what dose might be expected if the dosimeter goes through the x-ray

> screening machine?

Tom,

To answer your questions I'll give you my opinion:

1. The official dose record when visiting another facility is going

to come from their dosimeter. Yours would be for information only.

You'll also need to have some Control dosimeter to eliminate any

transit dose and other background in the area when not working in the

"radiation controlled area."  I recommend against taking your own

badge, and, many facilities don't permit other dosimeters in their

area.

2. For the carry0on x-ray machine, the dose to the badge should be

small (depending on the airport and x-ray machine vintage, how they

have the image intensification set. For checked bags, the dose could

be quite high. Therefore, do not put your dosimeters in bags that you

go through the checked bag x-ray units.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/