Re: Dosimeters and airport security

At 01:12 PM 1/9/2003 -0600, Sandy Perle wrote:
On 9 Jan 2003 at 14:30, Doug Aitken wrote:

> A dosimeter is obviously to measure your occupational dose, so you should wear it during all professional occasions. And why
> confuse your records by having to add in "visitor badge" doses?

The "visitor badge" is the official dose from the licensee. I
wouldn't think that you're confusing the dose records. The fact is,
the badged individual will receive an official Form 5 with the
assigned dose. If the individual is wearing 2 badges, there is always
the possibility that the doses will be accidentally combined. Worse
yet, if there is a significant difference between the 2 doses, which
one will be used? Won't the worker then have reason to question all
dosimetry worn?

I stand corrected! I deal with a mobile workforce, working in multiple locations for the same company (same licensee). Obviously, my situation is different from people who work in various facilities with separate licensees.

However, I wonder how these people working (short term) in multiple locations under different licensees ever get a correct cumulative dose, if these assignments are of a duration insufficient to pass the sensitivity threshold of the individual dosimeters? Besides the obvious problem of keeping track and correct notification from the various licensees.

regards

Doug Aitken             Schlumberger Drilling and Measurements QHSE Advisor
Phone (Sugarland):      281 285-8009
Phone (Home office):    713 797-0919
Phone (Cell):           713 562-8585
        Principal E-mail: jdaitken@earthlink.net