Re: Apparent anti-correlations between geographic radiation and cancer are no...

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Kai Kaletsch wrote:

> From: "BERNARD L COHEN"

> > --There are no data on gamma radiation for counties or even for

> > states, so I can't do this directly.

> How about http://energy.cr.usgs.gov/radon/usagamma.gif ?

	--Do you know how that map can be converted into data for each

county?

> > But radon is surely more important in

> > the link to lung cancer than is gamma radiation.

> In the absence of other data, I would agree with you. There are however some

> (case-control) data sets out there that would be fairly difficult to

> reconcile with a large beneficial radon effect.

	--Depending on your definition of "large", I question this. My

data should not be interpreted as risk vs dose to individuals, as that is

what is meant by "the ecological fallacy". I have always insisted that my

data be used only as a test of the linear--no threshold theory. However,

even if my data are interpreted as risk vs dose to individuals, I have

shown that they are not in conflict with case control studies.

 On the other hand, I am not

> aware of any credible data set that is inconsistent with a beneficial effect

> of gamma radiation at background levels.

> > Also, gamma radiation should be positively

> > correlated with radon levels, not negatively correlated as would be

> > necessary to change our conclusions.

> Only if you assume that gamma radiation at BG levels is bad for you, which

> is not my assumption. A large beneficial effect of gamma radiation, which

> should be positively correlated to radon, would change your conclusions.

	--I understand your point on this. If you can help me find gamma

ray background for counties, I will investigate this.