AW: Power Plant was declared bankrupt.

Title: RE: Power Plant was declared bankrupt.

I hate it, if antinuclear persons spread nonsense in order to influence people in their attitude to nuclear power, but I hate it even more, if people, who claim to be knowledgeable and pronuclear, spread nonsense which is nothing better. The Kasachstan nuclear power plant is for me such an occasion.

The original message is very difficult to understand. The only Kazachstan nuclear power plant I know of is the BN 350. I have been involved in an IAEA task group, which dealt with the plans to decommision this plant. The BN 350 was partly intended to desalinate sea water, but of course also to produce electricity. In this area of Kazachstan oil was found, so desalination can be performed with burning oil. The cheap supply of oil has made it very unfavourable to maintain a nuclear power plant in this area. Electrical energy would be needed in the eastern part of Kazachstan and at the time I was involved with this question, plans were to probably build a NPP in the eastern part.

The BN 350 had been shut down many years ago, following concerns about its safety. Much concern has to be exercised as to the liquid sodium cooling loop, which cannot simply be shut down, and how to keep the sodium liquid and how to remove the liquid sodium. The fuel elements were leaking and therefore the liquid sodium is heavily contaminated with Cs-137.

The facility cannot simply been shut down and left as it is. Bankruptcy seems to be sometimes a technical term in order to get rid of former debts and is not connected to any radiation protection or even nuclear technology question.

Sandy, please comment!!!!

Franz