Re: [Fwd: CURE for Rad Fear] and K-40

John R Johnson, PhD wrote:

I have found that a whole body in vivo count is a "useful discussion

starter" for people who want to know more about radiation and radiation

risks. The prominent "naturally occurring" K-40 peak is the only isotope

that is identifiable, and when they hear that it would be VERY costly to

get it out of the food they are usually ask for more information.

I use No-Salt in my demonstrations to new radiation workers.  It allows me

to demonstrate the difference between radiation and contamination, the

quantity I use corresponds (out of shear coincidence) to the minimum

reliable response of the frisker that we use, and it is the perfect seque

into what they will see on their first whole body count.  I explain the

approximate dose they receive from the K-40 and the dose they would deliver

to a bed partner.  (I was told that one worker tried to sue the company

because he was "contaminated" with K-40.)  After this portion of the

presentation, the group really loosens up.  It then puts the risk issue

into perspective.

Just an analog guy in a digital world.

Paul Prichard

Millstone Station