Re: Non-CHPs in the health physics job market

This is forwarded to Radsafe with the permission of the author.

Michael Dupray wrote:

   There are not enough RCT's or HP Techs available. We are experiencing

great difficulty in getting competent

   qualified Techs. Most of the good ones are at the choice jobs. San

Onofre has an outage and decomissioning.

   Diablo is in an aoutage also. Livermore is hiring also. It took us 6

months to get two good RCT's that could

   pass the DOE Core RCT qualifications test. We canned two others for

pornography on his computer, another

   for sexual harrassment and another because after three tries (and

given the answers to the test for study) still

   couldnt pass the test. So what we're looking at is the same situation

that occurred right after TMI. Too much

   work and not enough people. Sooo, the pay for contract techs is going

up and the quality going down. Be sure

   to check contractors background carefully. Michael R. DuprayEH&S

AssociateOperational Health

   PhysicsLawrence Berkeley National Laboratory(510)

486-5642mrdupray@lbl.gov