Re: need for HPs

Many thanx for this insight.  It's interesting to consider the situation you

describe in the light of the recent HP Position Statement, "Human Crisis in

Radiation Safety."  Here is an excerpt:

"A recent survey conducted by the Health Physics Society indicates that present

demand for radiation safety professionals is approximately 130% of supply.

Demand during the next five years, whcih appears related solely to attrition,

outstrips supply by nearly 160%. [sic] [I think they mean 60%; I doubt that

even HPS would state that demand is 260% of supply.]  Anecdotal information

from health physics academic program directors indicates that current requests

for graduating students far outstrips supply..."

This does not seem to be consistent with your description, where potential

employers view entry level hp's as a "just in time" labor pool.

If I really believed that, "demand for radiation safety professionals is

approximately 130% of supply..." I'd storm into my supervisor's office and

demand a raise of at least 30%.  However, I'm not going to do that, just yet.

If I did, the only thing that would save me is that he'd be laughing so hard,

he'd forget to shoot me!

Would you recommend hp academic study to your son or daughter?  Maybe, but I'd

be realistic:  interesting work,usually; hard to feel too good about "saving"

people from man-mrem, but you're probably leaving things a little better than

you found them; expect an entry level job at ~ $40k, plus a requirement to lift

70 pounds.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton