From: Rob Gunter
To: Radsafe
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 12:46 PM
Subject: RE: Non-CHPs in the health physics job market - Opportunities are present

Toli et al,

It is my experience that when postings are made, there is very little interest. Just because something is "preferred" doesn't mean it is mandatory.

Regarding standards for entry level HPs, I would look to the requirements for CHP test taking and eliminate the experience requirement.  Another good test is to see if you meet the requirements for participating in a HP Masters Degree program.  Of course that is not all there is to it, but gives a general idea of what is required.  One of the first things I did after passing Part 1 was update my resume.  When CHP is preferred, and you have completed Part 1, you are well on your way.

Having a degree in physics doesn't necessarily qualify you in everyone's eyes, though it is about as good as it gets outside an HP degree.  Does the candidate have any experience doing HP work (summer internships).  Anyone doing HP for a while realizes that it is a multidisciplinary field.  That is one of the things that attracted me to it.  Lots of biology, physiology, chemistry, ecology, geology, hydrology, etc, and physics (though some physicists think the others are merely subsets of physics, and if you can have a good discussion on how, you are probably qualified).

There are lots of excellent books out there relating to HP.  This is why so many people are good at it regardless of their degree.

Rob

Robert J. Gunter, CHP
East Tennessee Technology Park
Operations Support Manager