RE: Non-CHPs in the health physics job market - Opportunities are present

A lot has already been said on this subject. The reality is, there

are many individuals with whom I've worked over the past 30+ years,

that were exceptional in their field, through the lessons learned in

the field, and not through education. On the other hand, many

companies will; not hire an individual without a degree (ICN is one

of those companies). I also find that even though an individual can

be considered to be an expert in their field, in litigation, not

having a degree, regardless of its merit, is considered to be a

negative, when giving a deposition or testimony. Again, as in many

things, it's the perception that is reality, and the perception is,

the degree helps.

I applaud those who have many years of experience, and then go back

to get their degree. That demonstrates ambition, a willingness to

learn and also an understanding that without the degree, their

opportunities may be limited.

In summary .. get the degree, get as much experience as you can in as

many facets of the industry, and, pursue whatever accreditations or

certifications that you can. I find the education and experience is

worth its weight in gold. The accreditation isn't a necessity,. but

it can't hurt you.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/