RE: Non-CHPs in the health physics job market - Opportunities are present

I have to agree with Glenn on this issue.  I have essentially validated the

Peter principal for myself.  My attitude until recently was "Why should I

get a degree, not having one has not stopped me from obtaining the positions

I wanted?"  However, I have come to realize that, if I aspire to a level

beyond a line manager in the hp field, I will need a degree in the physical

sciences to advance.  Consequently, I began pursuing a BS in Applied

Sciences (Radiation Protection) from Thomas Edison State College.  What I

have found is that, I was fooling myself in thinking that I didn't need a

college education.

Additionally, I would venture a guess that, at least in part, the reasoning

behind the BS requirement was that many persons without a college level

understanding of calculus, chemistry and physics were performing so poorly

on the exam that it was a waste of time for both the candidate and the

individual(s) evaluating the exam.

I have no doubt that there are individuals without a college degree who

could pass the exam, but I believe that when I finish my degree and take the

exam, the degree will be an advantage.

Joseph Heckman RRPT

Site Radiation Safety Officer

Containerized Waste Facility

Envirocare of Utah, Inc

435.884.0155

mailto:jheckman@envirocareutah.com

"Communications without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without

communications is irrelevant." Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC