GM response to neutrons?

Friends,

could someone educate me about the response of GM tube based instruments to neutrons?

I remember playing with Am/Be neutron generators and using a GM based meter to confirm that the source actually got back in the holder. (And the regulators where OK with us only having GM based detectors on hand to locate a possibly lost source. [They did want the operators to be badged with neutron dosimeters.])

So, the question is: Was the detector seeing some interaction of the neutrons, or was it only seeing Am gamma?

Thanks in advance,
Kai
http://www.eic.nu
http://www.gammawatch.com/