AW: GM response to neutrons?

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu [mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Kai Kaletsch
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 29.
Jänner 2003 20:39
An: RadSafe
Betreff: GM response to neutrons?

Friends,

could someone educate me about the response of GM tube based instruments to neutrons?

I remember playing with Am/Be neutron generators and using a GM based meter to confirm that the source actually got back in the holder. (And the regulators where OK with us only having GM based detectors on hand to locate a possibly lost source. [They did want the operators to be badged with neutron dosimeters.])

So, the question is: Was the detector seeing some interaction of the neutrons, or was it only seeing Am gamma?

Kai,

I guess, that you recorded charged particles, which were knocked out by the neutrons from the GM tube or the instrument. Additionally the gammas from Am might have an effect, though they have a very low energy and therefore a very low counting efficiency. Since Am/Be sources are not in the low-level range (!) these effects will probably be sufficient to determine whether the source is in its shielding or not - a simple yes/no decision. To determine your dose from the neutrons of course you have to use a specific neutron dosimeter.

Best regards,

Franz