Re: GM response to neutrons?

At 01:39 PM 1/29/2003 -0600, Kai wrote:
Friends,

could someone educate me about the response of GM tube based instruments to neutrons?

I remember playing with Am/Be neutron generators and using a GM based meter to confirm that the source actually got back in the holder. (And the regulators where OK with us only having GM based detectors on hand to locate a possibly lost source. [They did want the operators to be badged with neutron dosimeters.])

So, the question is: Was the detector seeing some interaction of the neutrons, or was it only seeing Am gamma?

Kai:
The AmBe source emits not only the 60keV gamma from the americium, but also 4.4MeV gamma from the C13 -> C12 transformation (responsible for the neutron yield of the source).
These are the source of the GM response, which responds to alpha (which are present in the source, but contained by its encapsulation), beta and gamma.

In well logging operations with AmBe sources, we are required (by US Regs) only to carry Gamma ray meters to the wellsite, for the specific purpose you mention. We are required to have Neutron meters "available" to our facilities.

Regards
Doug

Doug Aitken             Schlumberger Drilling and Measurements QHSE Advisor
Phone (Sugarland):      281 285-8009
Phone (Home office):    713 797-0919
Phone (Cell):           713 562-8585
        Principal E-mail: jdaitken@earthlink.net