Nuclear powered rocket

I don't think our track record has been too good here. I took RERO at the Nevada Test site, and the final drill took place at the nuclear rocket test site. It was explained to us that they never had a successful demonstration of this rocket-the core failed and sent pieces of the core out the exhaust and hence all over the desert floor.

The design for the Mars mission can be found on the web using the keyword NERVA. Slick concept, but it will require building another prototype facility for testing. And the nuclear reactor concept is a little misleading as the propellant will be hydrogen. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the first protoype at NTS?