RE: Breeder reactors

It is not necessarily true that you would need the fisson plants to benefit.

The benefit of having a depeted uranium blanket around a fusion reactor is

energy multiplication.  The neutrons released by fusion have an energy of

about 14 Mev and you can collect that energy by slowing them down in a

medium.  But if the medium is uranium you get some additional direct fission

reactions and the 200 Mev associated with each fission.  This mutiplication

provides a straightforward way to make it easier to reach an engineering

breakeven point for the plant where you get more energy out of the plant

than you put into it.

A. Joseph Nardi, Supervisory Engineer

Westinghouse Electric Company

P. O. Box 355