Re: Shipyard workers etc[Scanned]

Chris,

I think you raise a very important point. If we can identify a mechanism by

which sick people are actively moved out of one group and into another, the

results of a comparison will be difficult to interpret. You raise the

possibility that people predisposed to cancer would have been taken out of

the nuclear cohort and moved to the non-nuclear one by the medical screening

process. I was hoping that someone more familiar with the study would

comment on this.

Is it really possible that someone could "fail" the medical screening

because of family history? I am familiar with two types of occupational

screening: You could fail the physical if you were not fit enough for the

work (nothing to do with radiation). The other type of screening was

intended for early detection of cancers and had nothing to do with job

placement.

Of course, it could also be that people with a family history of cancer

might be more worried about it and refused to work in the nuclear yards. It

is probably not possible to control for everything and no one study can

provide all the answers. I think the shipyard worker study is one more

reasonably strong data point.

It should also be pointed out that moving sick people from one group into

another can be an issue in all types of epidemiological studies, whether

they are ecological, cohort or case control. For example, if lung cancer

changes lifestyle, so that one keeps doors and windows shut just a few

percent more (too small a change to be measurable on a questionnaire) and

this raises radon levels in the living areas, then you move sick people from

the low radon group to the high radon group. I have yet to see anyone

quantitatively address that problem.

Overall, I think we have a tendency to throw data into the data analysis

technology too quickly, without examining possible cause and effect

mechanisms first. The solution to the seemingly contradictory data sets will

not be found by calculating yet another correlation coefficient or p value

or by talking about non-identifiable cross confounders.

OK, I'll get off the soap box now.

Kai