RE: CSI Miami I-131 Episode

At 04:11 PM 2/11/2003 -0500, Dr. Ruth Weiner wrote:

>I believe the problem arises because most people's experience of ionizing

>radiation and radioactive materials is not only fictional, but just this

>kind of fiction.  Most people have enough experience with lawyers and

>doctors to know that fictional protrayals don't apply to all members of a

>profession and can be exaggerated.

>I disagree with Sandy.  It is important to speak out regarding distorted

>portrayals of radiation, no matter how fictional they are.

There was a show about audio tape restoration on The History Channel a

couple of months ago and there was a large outcry about inaccuracies in the

show. I received a direct reply from one of the participants in the show

from either the Smithsonian or Library of Congress explaining how hard they

tried to have them tell the whole story and how only portions of what they

did was used.

Overall, it was a good, balanced show, but even there in a documentary, it

wasn't right. So, when you put it into a framework of fiction, it's very

difficult to get right, but I don't think we sould give up trying. I think

good fiction writers try to get technical details correct.

Cheers,

Richard