AW: Study: High-density storage of nuclear waste heightens terrorism risks

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Susan L

Gawarecki

Gesendet: Samstag, 15. Februar 2003 01:12

An: RADSAFE

Betreff: Study: High-density storage of nuclear waste heightens

terrorism risks

The statement that a terrorist attack on stored spent nuclear fuel could

cause contamination "significantly worse than those from Chernobyl"

seems implausible to me.  Are there any RadSafers out there who can

comment on the nature of NRC's concerns reference in the press release?

Sorry, Susan,

We Europeans have a totally different opinion on the mass media campaign of

the US authorities to frighten citizens and by that way "justifying" a war

against a near east country, which would mostly hit an innocent population.

I hardly can understand, how scientists can fall into all these traps put

forward by this administrations. You can always figure out a scenario, where

the fall of a stone from an alpine region would trigger not only the next

world war, but the total destruction of this world. Similar thoughts seem to

be the case now. There is no question that mass media will jump on this

horse! Only bad news are good news!

We European scientists do not regard such paranoid scenarios as possible,

which may helped, that they are not distributed on the press.

The European opinion is more than overwhelmingly against such ideas of

waging war in the near east and possibly employing nuclear weapons. I hardly

believe that these facts are distributed on US TV-networks.

Franz