Re: Retrospective neutron dosimetry

Without going in to specifics, let me just say that to determine

accuracy, one must be working towards meeting some standard. While

there were some older Regulatory Guides, none to my knowledge

actually addressed accuracy and precision. ANSI N13.11-1983 was the

first standard published whereby dosimetry processors had to submit

to blind performance testing. The testing only addressed neutron from

Cf-252 moderated spectra. Even today, there are no performance tests

required for any processor to report dose from thermal neutrons (ANSI

N13.11-2001 is the current standard in pilot testing through NVLAP).

To answer your question about a specific dosimeter, you will have to

obtain any data that can be provided whereby there was ongoing

confirmatory testing to known spectra based on specific test

criteria, and, that this be documented. Without quantifiable and

qualitative data, one can not address your question with any

validity. For thermal neutron, it's even more difficult, without some

standard addressing what is to be tested.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/