Re: A new approach to communication on the Web about radiation

Dr. Cameron,

I notice that the mission of the "Room Editors" will be to filter out personal or pointless commentaries.  What will prevent the editors from filtering out arguments that might not agree with the editor's viewpoints.  How would you monitor an editor who is strongly infavor of hormesis from blocking out those who believe in the LNTH, and vice verse?

 John Cameron <jrcamero@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:

Dear Colleagues,
        This  message describes a scientific communication scheme which will be an important part of the  Virtual Radiation Museum (VRM). The VRM is under development at the University of Wisconsin Department of Medical Physics under my direction. Most of the VRM will be basic educational material about many aspects of radiation and radioactivity. The VRM can be much more useful than a physical museum. We plan to have a series of Radiation Discussion Rooms (RDR).  I give my reasons  for initiating such an activity below and describe its initial characteristics. I solicit your comments and your advice.
        Tentative List of Radiation Discussion Rooms  2/21/03
RDR 1. Health effects of low dose rate radiation
RDR 2.Radiation Protection Quantities
RDR 3. Scientific basis of As Low As Reasonably Achievable
RDR 4.  Dose levels to workers and the public.
RDR 5. How to reduce radiation phobia.
RDR 6.  Critique of NCRP Report No. 136-The Linear No Threshold  model of radiation risk.
RDR 7.  Health effects of Radon
RDR 8.  Is Nuclear Power Safe?
RDR 9. Are CT scans  Safe?
   . . .
        My greatest need for this type of scientific discussion to work is to have a number of volunteers who will work as "Room Editors" to help filter out commentaries which are  personal or pointless.  Appended is my list of subjects which I would like to see discussed and samples of some of their initial contents.
. . .

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist