Re: Re:Air Sampling for unknowns

Truly sampling for unknown contaminant source would take a truck load of equipment, and an exorbitant amount of time and expense.  Can the situation really have an unknown source and/or chemistry involved?  If it is really unknown and can't be characterized, what is the problem?

Dean Chaney, CHP

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 4:29 AM
Subject: Re:Air Sampling for unknowns

Radsafers,

There were two comments indicating the following query was of general interest. I have included the responses received below.

A QUEST search provided some additional help, although one must sort through the results. Radsafe archives usually yield helpful information as well. The archives are a great resource! Dr. H. Cember's text and Gollnick's "Basic Radiation Protection Technology" may contain useful information as well. My thanks to all for the help!

George Andrews, RRPT
N1YAE FN31kj
gandrews@ntplx.net

Air Sampling for Unknowns

A RadSafe Query and Responses

The query:

To All

What are the current guidance documents or references relating to best practices for air sampling unknown radionuclides in the environment? As this topic may not be of great interest to many, please respond off the list. My thanks in advance to those who respond.

The answers

:

  • NRC Regulatory Guide 8.25, "Air Sampling in the Workplace," available from the NRC web site, may be useful.

  • A few thoughts.  Try the DOE EML web site and look at HASL-300 and associated documents.  There's a lot on analytical techniques, but also some good stuff on instrumentation.

  • Also, try "Instrumentation for Environmental Monitoring, Volume 1, Radiation” written by LBL's staff  Principal authors are Budnitz, Nero, Murphy, and Gravel.  It was published by Wiley.  You should be able to get it on an interlibrary loan.

  • The best document is NUREG-1400. It is available for the ORAU PTP program website as a pdf file. There are also a couple of other documents, Reg Guide 8.25.  That all I can come up with at this time.