Re: lochbaum's bio - yo susan g

Some recent experiences I have had bear on this.  I travel a great deal around the U. S., and I frequently talk to my seat-mates on airplanes.  These people are generally middle-class folks, usually on business trips, and almost all with some college education.  They come from all parts of the U. S. and all walks of life: lawyers, regional sales managers, a couple of army non-commisioned officers, a music teacher, and so on.  Invariably when I tell them what I do, they are interested, ask good questions, do not seem particularly concerned about transportation of RAM, radwaste, Yucca Mountain, nuke plants, etc.  Their questions certainly indicate that they understand what I say, and none has compained that they don't understand, I am too technical, etc.  One lawyer even asked how I think nuclear power could be revived more quickly in the U. S.

OK, I am talking about fewer than 20 people.  But they seem far more representative of middle America than the organized anti-nuclear groups.  I believe my "airplane friends" are the sort of audience we need to target, rather than the people who go to hearings.

Just my two cents.

Ruth

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com