A reminder of who we are

It has been said many times in the past that if you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem. Being part of the solution with regards to our energy future and the use of radiation requires of us that we adhere to a high standard. With regards to the engineering profession I think the National Society of Professional Engineers' fundamental canons speak well. I also think that you could just as easily substitute CHP or RSO or any other radiation professional's title beside that of an engineer:

Engineers, in the fulfillment of their professional duties, shall:

1. Hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public.

2. Perform services only in areas of their competence.

3. Issue public statements only in an objective and truthful manner.

4. Act for each employer or client as faithful agents or trustees.

5. Avoid deceptive acts.

6. Conduct themselves honorably, responsibly, ethically, and lawfully so as to enhance the honor, reputation, and usefulness of the profession.

Engineers by their nature are here to solve problems, not to stand off in a crowd and point fingers and say it can't be done. The Health Physics society also has a code of ethics:

These principles are intended to aid members of the Health Physics Society, individually and collectively, in maintaining a professional level of ethical conduct. They are intended as guidelines by which members may determine the propriety of their conduct in relationships with employers, coworkers, clients, governmental agencies, with members of other professions, and with the public.

1. Members of the Society shall give support to the objectives of the Health Physics Society.

2. Members shall strive to improve their professional knowledge and skill.

3. Each member shall be a judge of his/her competence and will not undertake any assignment beyond his/her abilities.

4. All relations with employers, coworkers, clients, governmental agencies, and the general public shall be based upon and shall reflect the highest standard of integrity and fairness.

5. Members shall never compromise public welfare and safety in favor of an employer's interest.

6. No employment or consultation shall be undertaken which is contrary to law or the public welfare.

7. Members will gladly accept every opportunity to increase public understanding of radiation protection and the objectives of the Society.

8. Professional statements made by members shall have sound scientific basis. Sensational and unwarranted statements of others concerning radiation and radiation protection shall be corrected, when practical.

9. Members shall protect the sources of confidential communications, provided that such protection is not itself unethical or illegal.

This is still a very exciting field to be involved with. I wish that the vision was there for all to see, but some will never open their mind to the possibilities. Risk has been and always will be part of that future and no matter how well intentioned polices or procedures are, there may be unintended consequences. Whatever challenges these consequences impose upon us, there will be a bright mind that will overcome them.

DJWhitfill, CHP