From: Stewart Farber [mailto:farbersa@optonline.net]

Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 5:44 PM

To: Radsafe

Subject: Re: Nova - Dirty Bombs - London Scenario question/critque

2/26/03 2:19:16 PM, Stewart Farber <farbersa@optonline.net> wrote:

>Hi all:

>I listened to the NOVA "special" last night and found it remarkable how

>sensationalistic it was. It seemed their intent was to maximize public

panic if

>and when anyone sets off a bomb involving any amount of radioactivity, no

matter

>how trivial.

==============

An afterthought on the scenario of someone driving around a city like London

with

a 2,000 Ci [74,000 GBq] Cs-137 source in their auto. I recall doing a

background

radiation survey [short duration High Pressure Ionization Chamber readings

of

total gamma background], the better part of a mile from the Bath Iron Works

in

Bath, Maine just as Maine Yankee was going operational.

During the readings at a substation a location for routine TLD monitoring,

background levels jumped about 50% for a few minutes and then returned to

normal,

followed by a series of jumps of similar magnitude and then return to

background.

I called the RSO at the Bath Iron Works to ask if they had been doing any

industrial radiography at certain specific times I specified.

After a long pause, he asked how I could know this since I was offsite at a

distance he could not imagine my being able to get a reading.

The point is, I was able in 1974 to be aware of an industrial radiography

source

being removed from its shield [despite local shielding used by the users of

the

source taking the shot] at a distance of almost a mile, due to skyshine from

the

source.

Isn't it rather trivial to set up even rather crude real time radiation

sensors

around any major city that could track the presence and movement [of a gamma

source at least] into or near a city quite easily such that the source could

be

intercepted before it gets to the heart of a city? A helicopter with a

radiation

sensor could pinpoint the location of any vehicle carrying a substantial

unshielded source [like that hyped in the NOVA program] in a matter of

minutes

and it could be intercepted by authorities before it might be exploded.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health

email: farbersa@optonline.net

[203] 367-0791

=====