RE: Nova - Dirty Bombs - Who is their expert - FYI

At 09:34 AM 2/26/2003 -0800, you wrote:
I have problems with several points made or that were omitted from the NOVA show.

A direct inaccuracy I picked up was their comparison of the "Subway scenario" with the Goiânia incident. The scenario was using a source from a commercial densitometer (typically much less than one curie of cesium: the strongest fluid densitometer used in Schlumberger is a 200 millicurie source - 7.4 GBq), and mixing the radioactive material with a small firework and setting it off in a subway, where the trains and forced ventilation would cause contamination of a similar order to that in Brazil. They claimed the contamination and healthe effects would be about the same as the "sources were about the same strength (I think my memory is right, as i jumped when I heard it!)

As the cesium source in the Goiânia incident was over 1300 curies (28 g of cesium chloride and 65 g of inert material, giving ~2000 Ci when fabricated, estimated at 19 gm cesium left at the time of the incident...), there is obviously an enormous difference of scale!

It is a shame that the program tended to skew the perspective towards the "uncontrollable disaster" side of the argument. But that is what makes news........

Doug Aitken             Schlumberger Drilling and Measurements QHSE Advisor
Phone (Sugarland):      281 285-8009
Phone (Home office):    713 797-0919
Phone (Cell):           713 562-8585
        Principal E-mail: jdaitken@earthlink.net