Re: Nova - Dirty Bombs - London Scenario question

While I think we can argue about the engineering and health physics aspects (we do that well), we need to look at the non-technical issues.  As the show pointed out, if such a radiological spill occurred, what would be the publics response.  I am using the term "spill," because that is what happened in Goiania.  This issue is the real value of the show, not producing problems for health physicists to solve.

 High Plains Drifter <magna1@jps.net> wrote:

Stewart, thanks for posting the values they gave in the show. I wonder, if
a terrorist(s) after assembling a 2,000 Curie dirty bomb could even drive a
vehicle, but then again they may have access to an abandoned laboratory with
a hot cell, that has been awaiting decommission approval in California.
BTW, if the CsCl was in a DOE rod capsule (in the USA nearly all are DOE
derived, I believe), just cutting them open and collecting the power (?)
would leave a trail and expose the persons to lethal doses. If the rods
were attached to the dynamite or place between the sticks of dynamite or
inside plastique, the rods would most likely be flung away without severe
damage and dispersal of just a fraction of their contents.

I was dismayed at the lack of common sense and attention to the physics of
the scenario's. Overall more talk was given to the "sound bytes" in! volving
cancer risk and doses that were hyped, but actually trivial. Evidently, the
science expert for the show has never seen or measured the dose rates at
TENORM sites, which for much of the world are unregulated.

My exasperations at the situation in California is based on current
experience in the D&D field, and years of experience dealing with DHS and
other regulatory bodies.

Dean Chaney, CHP
Fairfield, CA

None of the above is to be construed as the position of
my employer or members of my extended family.