Re: Wired: Nuke Lab Can't Keep Snoops Out

Having an NRC badge won't even get you in at a regulated nuclear plant unless you are on the access list.  Unfettered access only applies to those previously cleared by the NRC.

Dean Chaney, CHP
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 7:38 PM
Subject: Re: Wired: Nuke Lab Can't Keep Snoops Out

Sorry, I work at Sandia, not Los Alamos.  You not only can't get into Sandia, you can't even get into Kirtland AFB, where Sandia is.  I had to meet a colleague from NRC at one of the perimeter guard stations to vouch for him and sign him in, and he had a NRC badge.

But I don't believe the "wired" story anyway.  My experience at LANL is that security is tight where it needs to be.  The lab is spread out and the tech areas are not contiguous, and you can drive between tech areas on open, public roads..  I'd like a LANL person to comment on the story -- I think at least some of the details are made up.
Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com