RE: Dirty bombs

A little followup to my previous message. I found the spreadsheet used to make relocation and re-entry calculations, using factors developed by EPA for radionuclide retention out to 50 years assuming only natural removal processes. Running through the calculations, I come up with the following:

A deposition of 22.2 uCi/m^2 of Cs-137 will result in a first year "occupancy" dose of 1 rem.
A deposition of 17.4 uCi/m^2 of Cs-137 will result in a second year "occupancy" dose of 0.5 rem
A deposition of  8.2  uCi/m^2 of Cs-137 will result in a 0-50 year "occupancy" dose of 5.0 rem.

Don't ask me all the assumptions that went into this calculation ... because I don't know what they are. I'd have to look in EPA 400. Even certain individuals in EPA admit that the 50 year calculations may be somewhat suspect, but I'd venture that any agreed upon cleanup level would be below that 8.2 uCi/m^2 value.

Jim Hardeman
Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us

>>> "Nardi, A. Joseph" <nardiaj@WESTINGHOUSE.COM> 2/28/2003 12:42:51 >>>
This is really an issue of "How clean is clean enough".  When
decommissioning a licensed facility we are required to take more effort to
chase "the last atom" because of the exposure scenarios that are associated
with the development of cleanup criteria.  Such decommissioning scenarios
should not be considered applicable to the cleanup associated with an act of
terrorism particularly in an outdoor environment.  It seems to me that one
of the considerations that should be thought out now is what would be the
appropriate cleanup criteria to be applied in the event of such an act of
terrorism.  Otherwise we are going to end up with the default criteria.  The
elements that would be required to establish appropriate criteria might be
as follows:

*    Establish a rational dose criteria to be used in these scenarios.
This might be done on a time dependent basis such as the first five years,
the second 10 years, etc.
*    Define a realistic scenario for the dose calculation based on
different dirty bomb scenarios.
*    Establish a model that is based on realistic model parameters, not
using the general approach for decommissioning models where the parameters
are the 90th percentile or other levels of conservatism.
*    Use the above to establish reasonably protective cleanup criteria
that can be used in such an event before the act rather than trying to
develop the criteria in the "heat of the moment".

Just my humble opinion

A. Joseph Nardi, Supervisory Engineer
Westinghouse Electric Company
P. O. Box 355