Re: Dirty bombs & dirtier assumptions

Those who may be unfamiliar with the methodology for estimating dose consequences of given contamination levels, should be made aware that the results are predominately a function of the imagination of the analyst. Within a very wide latitude, if one were to specify what dose level they want, it is not difficult to find a "credible" (i.e., not impossible) scenario to obtain that result. Fundamentally, it is a phony process that is given official sanction by regulatory agencies. A process that causes an enormous waste of our limited resources, and one that will likely continue until the first regulatory official is fired or jailed for the crime of exercising "excessive caution". I wouldn't hold my breath until that happens.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 11:27 AM
Subject: RE: Dirty bombs

A little followup to my previous message. I found the spreadsheet used to make relocation and re-entry calculations, using factors developed by EPA for radionuclide retention out to 50 years assuming only natural removal processes. Running through the calculations, I come up with the following:

A deposition of 22.2 uCi/m^2 of Cs-137 will result in a first year "occupancy" dose of 1 rem.
A deposition of 17.4 uCi/m^2 of Cs-137 will result in a second year "occupancy" dose of 0.5 rem
A deposition of  8.2  uCi/m^2 of Cs-137 will result in a 0-50 year "occupancy" dose of 5.0 rem.

Don't ask me all the assumptions that went into this calculation ... because I don't know what they are. I'd have to look in EPA 400. Even certain individuals in EPA admit that the 50 year calculations may be somewhat suspect, but I'd venture that any agreed upon cleanup level would be below that 8.2 uCi/m^2 value.