Re: Dirty bombs

Joe et al. -

If memory serves, Dr. S.Y. Chen at Argonne is trying to reconstitute an ANSI committee to look at "late-phase" radiation limits ... this would seem to be right up that committee's alley. The previously-cited values are "intermediate phase" guidance levels from EPA-R-92-001.

Jim Hardeman
Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us

Nardi, A. Joseph wrote:

>This is really an issue of "How clean is clean enough".  When
>decommissioning a licensed facility we are required to take more effort to
>chase "the last atom" because of the exposure scenarios that are associated
>with the development of cleanup criteria.  Such decommissioning scenarios
>should not be considered applicable to the cleanup associated with an act of
>terrorism particularly in an outdoor environment.  It seems to me that one
>of the considerations that should be thought out now is what would be the
>appropriate cleanup criteria to be applied in the event of such an act of
>terrorism.  Otherwise we are going to end up with the default criteria.  The
>elements that would be required to establish appropriate criteria might be
>as follows:
>
>*    Establish a rational dose criteria to be used in these scenarios.
>This might be done on a time dependent basis such as the first five years,
>the second 10 years, etc.
>*    Define a realistic scenario for the dose calculation based on
>different dirty bomb scenarios.
>*    Establish a model that is based on realistic model parameters, not
>using the general approach for decommissioning models where the parameters
>are the 90th percentile or other levels of conservatism.
>*    Use the above to establish reasonably protective cleanup criteria
>that can be used in such an event before the act rather than trying to
>develop the criteria in the "heat of the moment".
>
>Just my humble opinion
>

>A. Joseph Nardi, Supervisory Engineer
>Westinghouse Electric Company
>P. O. Box 355
>Pittsburgh, PA 15230
>Telephone:     412-374-4652
>FAX Number:  412-374-3357
>email:               nardiaj@westinghouse.com

Joe, this is an excellent idea.  Let me suggest that the criteria
include that there will be no immediate harm to a person and that the
long term risks are low.

John Andrews
Knoxville, Tennessee