VANGUARD

Nuclear experts arrive Nigeria soon over radioactive material

By Ikechukwu Eze, with Agency reports

Friday, February 28, 2003

 Look at the Q & A interview between the Director-General of the Nigerian

National Nuclear Regulatory Agency with the BBC. -

Nigeria is a developing country and as we can understand have requested help

to IAEA.

Three or four days ago I made a comment on the capability of  about 40% of

the IAEA Member States, with weak infrastructure to control sources........

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel

A delegation from the global nuclear agency is on its way to Nigeria to help

track down radioactive material lost by an oil company. The two devices

contained caesium-137 which could potentially be used in radioactive "dirty

bomb," a some in the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has said.

The arrival of the team followed an appeal by the Federal Government to the

IAEA to help it recover the two missing radio active material in the Niger

Delta region.

The hand-held devices used to X-ray oil pipelines to check for cracks are

also a risk to people's health, the source said. Both devices have been

missing since December and seem to have been stolen or fallen off a

transport vehicle in the Southern Niger Delta region, an official at the

Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority (NNRA) said. The Nigerian authorities

reported the loss to the IAEA and are now awaiting advice.

Residents of the oil-producing region have been warned not to touch the

material, which may be in "thick steel cylindrical containers with

yellowish-black" markings.

Health workers have also been urged to keep a look-out for anyone with

prolonged nausea or skin burns.

The material went missing on December 3, 2002 but a public warning was only

made last week. "We have ... informed the International Atomic Energy Agency

in case somebody stole it and wants to take it outside Nigeria," Shams

Elegba, Head of the NNRA said. The material was lost while in transit

between Warri and Port Harcourt.

The Director-General of the National Nuclear Regulatory Agency, Prof.

Shamsideen Babatunde disclosed the Federal Government's request in an

interview with the BBC.

"What are the details of the missing radioactive materials?

The material is used in the oil industry for wet-logging.

Can you quantify the missing materials?

It is not something that you can qualify in kilogramme or something like

that. It has its own unit.

How did it get missing?

Through transportation from one location to another in the Niger Delta

region. It happened sometime in December but the report came to us in

January after the company had made its own effort to recover it but could

not.

What progress is being made towards recovering it?

We have a lead and we are pursuing the lead. But I think the interesting

thing to you and your audience ...

What about efforts being made internationally to recover the materials?

This has been reported formally to the International Atomic Energy Agency so

that they will assist us in making sure that if it is stolen from Nigeria it

should not be moved to any other country for monetary purposes.

What is the health implication of the missing material?

Anybody who comes in contact with it is likely to suffer some radiological

damage. That is why we are alerting the public, and doctors and nurses in

case they receive cases of burns and so on and so forth.

Does that mean it could lead to death?

Yes, if ingested. But the issue now is not just ingestion because even

coming close to it is dangerous. That is what we are worried about now."