AW: Thorium in 747

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Kolb, William

(WKOLB)

Gesendet: Freitag, 07. März 2003 19:00

An: 'BRISSON Nicolas'; 'radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu'

Betreff: RE: Thorium in 747

Do you mean depleted uranium? If so, see:

http://www.antenna.nl/wise/uranium/ruxcw.html#WORK

<http://www.antenna.nl/wise/uranium/ruxcw.html#WORK>

Up to four-percent magnesium-thoria and nickel-thoria castings for aircraft

engines, aircraft skin panels and aircraft engine gear boxes were common by

the mid 1950s but production virtually ceased in the 1990s with the

availability of thorium-free alloys. See NUREG-1717 for a description of

uses and potential exposure.

bill

WM Kolb

ARINC

Bill,

may I add my 2,1942 Eurocents worth? Since I had to make a proposal for the

regulation of natural radioactivity for my Ministry of Agriculture,

Forestry, Environment and Water Management, Radiation Protection Department

I checked also for production of magnesium-thorium alloys in Austria. What I

found out was, that there is no such production since decades and it was not

clear, whether there was any production before. There are no standards for

Mg-Th alloys existing. There is nevertheless production going on with

thoriated welding rods, though there are thorium-free electrodes explicitely

offered.

I am very well aware, that the Austrian situation is by no way

representative for the world, but it might reflect a certain trend.

I think, that the question of use of thorium alloys in airplane construction

can only be answered by the air-plane manufacturing industry.

Best regards,

Franz