Re: Risk Assessment

> I've read of a case where the wrong patient was given the nuclear medicine

administration!

Misadministrations are a common focus for any busy medical department. Use

of patient identifiers and watching for duplicate or similar names, etc.

needs to be done carefully. At Oak Ridge we prepared some training material

on this, and were told that there were even cases in which the patients

intentionally misidentified themselves, and received the wrong study,

because they were just tired of waiting and wanted to be "next". This would

of course still the the hospital's fault for not verifying the patient's

identity, but it was interesting still.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068