Re: Risk Assessment

Dear Susan,

Many suggestions were made, so, my contribution, will be more to recommend a

text. However I would like to emphasize the suggestion of Phil Rutherford

about Risk Perception.  Any Nuclear Installation needs to be able to

identify their safety issues (quality verification, preventive maintenance,

surveillance) and paying attention by learning the lessons. For this reason

your Safety Program should answer the following questions for all scenarios:

a) What happened? - How important (significance to safety)

b) Why did it happen? (Direct Cause)

c) Why was it not prevented? (Root Causes)

d) How to eliminate failures? (Repairs)

e) How to prevent it recurrence? (Remedies)

f) What corrective actions should be implemented? (Action Plan)

Now ask to your Radiation Safety Office to search the NRC homepage to look

for enforcement in Nuclear Medicine Facilities and cases of

misadministration and mismanagement.

I also would like to recommend the following IAEA Safety Report: Safety

Reports Series 17 - Lessons Learned from Accidental Exposure in

Radiotherapy - There is 92 cases to study.

Unfortunately this document is not available to download; however you can

find it easily in some library.

Finally on matter of training I also would like to recommend two IAEA doc

that I help to elaborate, and fortunately you and those interested can

download at the following IAEA sites:

Training in Radiation Protection and the Safe Use of Radiation Sources

Safety Reports Series No.  20

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub1107_scr.pdf

Building Competence in Radiation Protection and the Safe Use of Radiation

Sources Safety Guide

Safety Standards Series No.  RS-G-1.4

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub1108_scr.pdf

I hope this will help you adding with the previous contributions

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel