Re: FW: A question regarding radiation protection instrumentation

Michael, your class needs to go into the basic design of pulse counter

and GM and proportional counter operation including pulse width and

pulse height.  These are the key factors in understanding the operation

of these counters.  For the PCM you also need to cover the statistics of

counting using multiple detectors to properly cover the issue of false

positive alarms.  You might try to find the 1967 book by James E. Wade

and G. E. Cunningham of General Electric in Richland Washington entitled

"Radiation Monitoring, A Programmed Instruction Book" for the basics of

detector operation.  This was published by the Atomic Energy Commission

as EDM-123and was available free from the Division of Technical

Information Extension in Oak Ridge.  I used it to train all my

technicians when I was in that business.  It covers detector operation

and monitoring techniques and will be a useful start for your program.

Check with Eberline on training materials for the PCMs.  These are

complicated by the use of many detectors.

The Teletector may overrespond to N-16, but the RO-2 surely

underresponds because of the fairly thin wall when used with very high

energy gamma rays.  Because you ask the question, you need to cover the

basic design and the uses of the RO-2 or other ion chanber instruments

for measuring higher energy gamma radiation.

Both Ludlum and Eberline produce Rem balls.  I would check with them for

information on principles of operation.  I have found that the balls

using the BF3 detectors can be very sensitive to RF radiation but are

not as affected by excess gamma radiaton as the scintillation detectors.

 Scintillation detectors are also affected by magnetic fields.

This course can be fairly difficult.  I suggest that you not try to do

it all in one course, but instead set up a series of classes covering

the material in enough detail so that the students can get a real

understanding.  It would be very valuable for all of you.  You might

also use your students to do some of your legwork and research.

My best wishes on your success and have fun.

John Andrews

Knoxville, Tennessee