Re: Bq soon

This is the best posting I've seen on this subject.  I remember the top down, "Do it my way or else..." campaign in the 1970's.  My facility had a full time, "metrification coordinator."   I was reprimanded for not supporting metrification with sufficient enthusiasm.  That, more than anything, is what turned me against SI units.

Regarding "Working Levels." - If there was ever a unit that needed to be SI'd, this is it.  On the other hand, I think that most persons, other than those who earn a living from Rn testing and remediation, agree that this is a solution looking for a problem, EPA scare ads notwithstanding.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

mark.hogue@SRS.GOV wrote:

I think Bjorn gave us the best flavor of what it takes to get used to a system.

The reason it's taking so long for the US to go metric is because the big push in the '70's (when I was in grade school) was such a flop. Instead of trying to give everyone a feel for the 'new' units, we were told, hey, look, an inch is 2.54 centimeters and a gallon is 3.7854 liters! No problem! Here's a table for you to memorize. Naturally, that made no sense to anyone. Plus, manufacturers objected to the real cost: retooling factories for metric sizes on nuts and bolts, etc.

Now, I have to think we've come a long way. Most people who use wrenches have already bought a metric set and maybe wish they wouldn't have to keep the english set too.

By the way, for radon measurements, is there anything metric that captures the real meaning of a working level?

Mark G. Hogue, CHP
mark.hogue@srs.gov
"But we surely overrate the usefulness of what we like to call "stimulation" and underrate the need for time, peace of mind, mature reflection." -  Susan Haack

"DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily represent Westinghouse Savannah River Co. or the United States Department of Energy."