AW: Bq soon

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu [mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von mark.hogue@SRS.GOV
Gesendet: Dienstag, 08. April 2003 15:45
An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Betreff: RE: Bq soon

I think Bjorn gave us the best flavor of what it takes to get used to a system.

The reason it's taking so long for the US to go metric is because the big push in the '70's (when I was in grade school) was such a flop. Instead of trying to give everyone a feel for the 'new' units, we were told, hey, look, an inch is 2.54 centimeters and a gallon is 3.7854 liters! No problem! Here's a table for you to memorize. Naturally, that made no sense to anyone. Plus, manufacturers objected to the real cost: retooling factories for metric sizes on nuts and bolts, etc.

Now, I have to think we've come a long way. Most people who use wrenches have already bought a metric set and maybe wish they wouldn't have to keep the english set too.

By the way, for radon measurements, is there anything metric that captures the real meaning of a working level?

Mark,

For your information: Nuts and bolts are still abundand in both the metric and the inch system. In Austria everything associated with natural gas lines and water supply is - to my knowledge - exclusively in inches, at least it is in my home. This forces people to buy both the metric and inch-system wrenches. On the other side the business is so well doing in Europe that they can easily afford it....

I have never used working levels, since there are conversion factors. So if you do not use them you need not bother about the "real" meaning......

Best regards, feed back welcome!

Franz