AW: Bq soon:Why this discussion again ?

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von William

Prestwich

Gesendet: Dienstag, 08. April 2003 15:48

An: Jean-Francois, Stephane

Cc: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Betreff: RE: Bq soon:Why this discussion again ?

This Canadian begs to differ a little bit. While I have no problem with

SIU professionally, I think one thing the metric fascists

--Whoo, I have been accused of being aggressive!----

up here forgot

about was the integration of units into our culture:

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep."

We have in Austria (and Germany) meters, kilometers, kilogramms, metric tons

etc for what seems to be since centuries. But still we use "old" units. Just

to give you a few well working examples:

We had the advertising of "I would go for miles to find a ... (cigarette

brand)", "Kreuzer" (old monetary unit of very low value) for a low monetary

value, in old fairy tales "Sieben-Meilen-Stiefel" (boots which would enable

you to cover by just one step seven miles - please do not ask me, what these

miles were - German, Austrian, English, Swedish....). In Germany you still

find the "Pfund" (pound) at the market places, which is close to half a

kilogram. For eggs you have the dozen (12), the old unit of Schock (12 times

12) has practically vanished. If a place is very far away, we say it is

"miles away". In Sweden by the way, a "mile" is ten kilometers!

Einstein claimed, that everything is relative. Though his comment is not

applicable for the measurement unit used in this world in his own sense, it

seems that it is in this respect and discussion.....

Franz

We are a nation with two languages, and should also be one with two

systems of units. There is absolutely nothing wrong with selling meat by

the pound, cloth by the yard and gasoline by the gallon, while using Bq,

Gy, Sv, km kg etc professionally. I admire you folks in the USA for not

succumbimg to what amounts to a destruction of your heritage by using the

imperial system(more Roman than British really) in your every day life.

Cheers,

Bill Prestwich