AW: SI Units

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu [mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Brian Keele
Gesendet: Dienstag, 08. April 2003 18:04
An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Betreff: SI Units

In the US, the standard is the Curie, dpm, and rem.  Almost all regulations are written in conventional units, and they are the working units.

Yes, you are right. But I think that the question at RADSAFE is, whether one should not switch to SI units. I can only support the collegues who think that it should be done. We have in Austria undergone these questions and adopted the SI units. US-presenters of papers at international conferences, using the outdated Ci and Rems have been reduced to "really" zero. The Ci, and rem - not the dpm, which is not SI unit  - is something which are outdated. So how can they be the working units?

If your workforce does not understand the new units (???), then change it the ones who do.

Best regards,

Franz

 Unless you work with SI units, it is very difficult  to read articles that are written in SI units.    Because of units, it is impossible to recommend HP journal articles to technicians or non-HPs.  Nobody can follow an oral presentation in SI units, unless they work in those units.

I am accusing the HP society of not serving it's people by forcing units in publications that the majority of US nuclear workers don't understand.

I would not be against a big coordinated change over across all areas of government regulation, but I don't think it is a reality in this country.  Until then, lets please encourage the HPS to publish in dual units so that the entire globe is served.

Brian Keele, CHP

Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* ************************************************************************ You are currently subscribed to the Radsafe mailing list. To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu Put the text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe archives at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/